Friday, January 21, 2011

It's Been a While...

I've been slacking on my blogging. I have some updates: Abby had her first occupational therapy visit. The therapist was very nice. Unfortunately, I am a little concerned about how I'm going to get her there on a weekly basis. It took us about 25 minutes to get there. The therapist said she would work with Abby's fine motor skills, with her aversion to trying new foods, and her sensory issues. Sensory issues??? I guess Abby's habit of plugging her ears for loud sounds and her inability to follow directions at times. I actually can't say exactly what they are going to do. I think we will at least try it and see if it helps.

As far as her screaming goes, her inability to understand that she can't be so rough with Mia, and her overall inability to cope with change I think the ABA therapy will really help with that. I am in contact with one therapist that uses a sliding scale when insurance won't help pay for her services.

On top of all that, I have to have my application to sit for the International Board Certified Lactation Consultant exam (mouthful right??) in by January 31st. Oh and we have to move in May. We are talking about trying to buy a foreclosure or something like that. Since we have owned in the last three years though, we don't qualify for a 100% financing loan. What this means is we have to come up with about $8000 in time to close on a house. Hm.... we will be pondering and praying about that.

Good news: The department of social services called earlier this week and they will be coming by to screen Abigail on Monday the 24th. If she is accepted for the EDCD waiver we will be able to get her on Medicaid and hopeful get an in home helper a couple days a week. I really think this will help since I cannot always address her bad behaviors right when they are happening because of the other kiddos.

On another note, Abby has been doing great this week. She is happy when we get to school and doesn't cry or fuss when I leave. Her teachers both say that her speech is getting more clear and that she is talking more. Yesterday when I picked her up she told me she had a cupcake for snack. I thought she was making that up until her teacher confirmed this morning. To me, this is a tiny breakthrough because usually she just repeats what I say when I ask about snack. Like maybe she is finally getting the conversation thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment