Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A New Week

Abby had an uneventful weekend and started off the week at school fairly well. She was even comfortable enough on Monday to tell her teacher "no". Tuesday morning was even better. She was actually glad to get into her class. She told me "goodbye mommy" so I didn't hang around. When I picked her up her teacher said she had a good day but that she did say "no" when her teacher asked her to do some things and that she yelled once. Her teacher was nice though and said she would much rather have Abby happy and a little willful than pitiful and sad the whole day. I tried to tell Abby that she needs to say "yes" to her teacher, not no. We will see how well that sunk in this morning.

I worked yesterday so I had to rush home to pick up the girls and get them fed before Abby's speech appointment. We had to do several pieces of paperwork and the receptionist was grumpy. Why are office receptionists always grumpy??? I don't think I have been to any appointments lately where the lady at the desk is actually happy to be there. While I was waiting for her to copy my insurance card, etc Abby was looking out the window and listening to the elevator. When the elevator would come and go she would say, "Beee booo ellabator" (there was a bell sound as the elevator came up to our floor).

We finally got back to the speech office, but we had more paperwork to do there. So... when we got back to see the therapist Abby was already a little over it. I had let her bring some toys because I knew we would be waiting. This turned out to be a bit problematic because she didn't want to stop playing with them (they were her mini toy story 3 toys).

She did let me hold them and the therapist started showing her lots of groups of pictures. She would say things like, "show me the picture of the white dog in the box with black spots". Abby would point at the white dog in the box (pretty sure she just didn't hear much after "in the box"). The therapist said the tool she really wanted to use wasn't available because someone else was using it and that the tool she was using was really too complex for Abby. However, we kept on using that one for another 20 minutes. Finally the other tool was available, but by then Abby was done. She wasn't interested in looking at the new pictures.

The therapist said that we would finish the evaluation next week and that this should be good for Abby because it is one on one and that the school speech program may not be as focused on her needs. She also said that we needed to narrate everything we do at home to expand Abby's vocabulary.

On another note, I found out a couple interesting things. One is that I can switch who provides our insurance. This is great because the MD I want Abby to see does except this other insurance. I also applied for long term care for Abby. This may be a long shot, but if she gets approved she would get on Medicaid and at least her medical costs would be covered.

I do think she is doing better this week for sure and I will tribute it to the fact that we are back on a routine. My girly loves knowing what to expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment