Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Day Worth Writing About!

I have recently been inspired by a friend's blog. She is insightful and honest and very funny. I have been wanting to blog more and today was the day for it. Unfortunately, I don't have any fun pictures to share of today, but I want to share all the same.

Quick update on Abigail. She is now on a waiver that allows her to receive Medicaid and she is given hours for a personal care attendant to help with her. We hired someone at the end of June who is AMAZING. Her speech and occupational therapies are going well. She has improved speech for sure and she is trying hard to function in social settings. Recently though we have been struggling with motivating her. She just doesn't want to do what we ask of her. She had a full on tantrum at speech two weeks ago and as her mom it was terrible to bare. I just feel like she gets in her own way. If only she would listen and do what was being asked of her she could learn and become more "typical" (whatever that may be). I know she needs behavioral therapy (defined in many ways but basically it is a psychological technique based on the premise that specific, observable, maladaptive, badly adjusted, or self-destructing behaviors can be modified by learning new, more appropriate behaviors to replace them). Thus far we have not been able to afford it. The therapy is not covered by most insurance providers and can cost anywhere from $40-$100 per hour.

So onto today's news: I was invited to the beach a couple of days ago. Now normally I wouldn't even consider going to the beach. In fact we only go about once a year. However, I know how much the kids love it and now that we have a wonderful helper (Christina) I wanted to give it a try.

We had the best time! The water was great. The girls were well behaved and had an absolute blast. Abigail loved the water and spent at least an hour in there with Christina. Mia loved it too and did some serious work on that sand. It felt so good to be doing something for my girls that I normally wouldn't be able to do. When I get home, my neighbor bring over a piece of mail of ours. Abigail was approved by Medicaid to get behavioral therapy and she starts next week!!!

I feel undeserving of these blessings but I am so thankful. I am hopeful for my dear Abigail.

No comments:

Post a Comment